Waterproofing your floors can be very beneficial to your home for many different reasons. Having waterproof flooring can repel water, prevent moisture buildup, and inhibit the growth of mold and mildew. Waterproofing areas in your home such as bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry areas can be great for preventing major disasters when it comes to leaks or spills with your flooring. Anchorage Epoxy Flooring is here to help you with all your water proofing needs to keep you safe and dry! We have many years of combined experience to give you our best with waterproofing services. Waterproofing is important in homes to keep the structural integrity good and to prolong the life of the structure all around making a great investment for your home. Anchorage Epoxy Flooring offers a free, no-obligation quote so you can get the best price for your budget!
The Benefits of Water Proofing
Not many homeowners have flood isnurance in with their homeowners insurance and homes can flood for many different reasons like busted pipes and and clogged gutters. This is one of the reasons it is important to have waterproofed floors so you can avoid damages from these mishaps. Most floors in your home simply attract slippery surfaces that can turn into safety hazards which is why it is so beneficial to waterproof the floors in your home.
Below are some of the greatest benefits of having the floors in your home waterproofed.
Promotes Complete Dryness
- Waterproofing your floors is a great way to ensure safety by decreasing the risk of slipping and falling. Having a waterproofed floor promotes complete dryness because it repels moisture and liquids. If something is spilled it forms into beads that are easy to clean up and prevent from puddling and causing slips.
- Waterproofing adds density to your flooring which can prevent liquids from spreading so rapidly. Waterproofing makes spills form into beads or pellets in a small areas helping make for easier cleaning. Wiping up a spill can leave liquid residue which is responsible for most slips while waterproofing keeps the area dry.
- Waterproofing your floors minimize the dampness. Even just a damp floor can cause damage in your flooring just like a spill or bust pipe could. Without waterproofing your flooring can weaken because of dampness which can take away from its lifespan. Surfaces that take longer to dry and stay damp can promote even further wear and tear that waterproofing can prevent.
The benefits of waterproofing are so great and can help your home in so many ways!
- Having your flooring waterproofed can ensure more safety for your home can give you greater peace of mind. Not having to worry about leaks and them causing slips and falls can be a big relief.
- A lot of homeowners find it important to have a beautiful looking floor but it is also important to make your flooring safe as well.
A Healthier Home
- Waterproofing your floor isn’t just good for your health by preventing slip accidents but in can actually do even better. Having a waterproofed floor can prevent the growth of mold and mildew which makes for better quality air so you can breathe easy!
Change in the Air
- Concrete can emit certain chemicals into the air when exposed to water and by waterproofing you can guarantee that you will have better air quality. Not only can waterproofing repel these harmful chemicals from getting into the air but since it inhibits the growth of mold and mildew so you can breath better.
Pricing for Waterproofing
- Like most flooring projects, waterproofing is no different when it comes to pricing. Every project is dependant on a number of factors with what your final price will be but most projects are the same in charging by the square foot. Typically waterproofing your flooring will cost anywhere from $3-$10 per square foot. Waterproofing your flooring can cost as little as $600 but for more extensive projects they can cost as much as $10,000.
How Waterproofing Is Done
- The first step of this process is to thoroughly clean the surface so there is no dust, dirt, or oils. After the surface is cleaned it is prepared by applying a coat of primer suitable for bitumen membranes. Next, the membrane sheets are laid and fitted to the flooring and aligned in the right way. After fitting the membranes, they will be heated with a torch to burn off excess film on the underside face of the membrane to prepare for bonding. Finally, the membranes are pressed into place to bond with the concrete flooring.
A Closer Look At
Waterproofed Concrete VS Traditional Concrete
- Waterproofed concrete is easier to keep clean
- Waterproofing your concrete can last for 15-20 years.
- Waterproofing concrete can produce better quality air.
- Waterproofed concrete is safer for you home and prevents slip accidents.
- Traditional concrete is known for being dusty and hard to keep clean.
- Concrete that isn’t waterproofed will begin having issues after a few short years.
- Traditional concrete is dirty and dusty and can cause numerous breathing issues .
- Having untreated concrete you risk slip accidents and more putting your home in danger.
Importance of Hiring a Professional
- After looking around on the internet you may feel pretty confident in waterproofing your home flooring but it is always best to hire a professional. A professional can come in and give you an accurate feel for what needs to be done, set realistic expectations, and give you a quote on the spot. Doing a project of this nature on your own can lead to different set backs, a lot of money spent, and the possibility of having to call someone anyway. It is always best to just go with the professionals.